Thursday, January 3, 2008

French Potage with Pistou

I am a lover of the Vegetarian Times. I made their French Potage with Pistou last night and have not stopped eating it since. It is damn good. And it gets better the next day.

Here's the recipe.

Potage
2 Tbs butter
2 medium leeks (white and pale green parts chopped up to equal about 4 cups)
1/4 c. white wine (I naturally added a bit more)
4 cloves garlic (Again, I am a bit heavy handed with the garlic)
1 large russet potato, peeled and diced (I used the russet, but I am tempted to use a sweet potato next time...)
4 medium carrots, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme (I used dried...it's winter and herbs are pricey)
1 bay leaf
4 cups veggie broth

Pistou--this is the topping...optional, but yummy.
1 cup firmly backed basil leaves
1/4 c. toasted walnuts
1 clove garlic
1/4 c. olive oil

1. To make the Portage: Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and pinch of salt; cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until leeks are softened, stirring often. Stir in wine and garlic and cook, uncovered, 1 to 2 minutes, or until most liquid has evaporated.
2. Add potato, carrots, thyme, bay leaf, broth and 2 cups of water. Season with salt and pepper; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until potato and carrots are soft.
3. Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Puree soup until smooth.
4. To make the Pistou: Place basil, walnuts and garlic in blender. Pulse to combine. Pour in oil, and blend until smooth. Add water if necessary to form smooth paste. Serve dollop on top of Portage.

FYI: This soup was in the section on healing soups...apparently it is typically served in hospitals throughout France. I didn't actually think that was a motivating factor to make this soup, but hey at least you know.

Let me know what you thought...

5 comments:

Emily said...

Yum! Looks delicious. I need to try the soup recipe I copied out of your VT while visiting. I almost forgot.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

We tried this last night and it was delish! I think I'd add more potatoes next time as it turned out a bit watery.
Can't wait for the new recipes blog!
xoxo,
A

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mama Teaching 3 said...

I loved this and just made it tonight! Was googleing potage served in french hospitals and saw your blog. :) I am so envious that those people eat so well while in hospital! If they did the same here in the US we would have better recovery rates for sure! This soup is the BEST! YUM-O! But all of VT's soups are delicious! I made some homemade french bread and my kids ATE it up!