Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Free Range Chicken

There are many joys of having a kid...you could pick up any mama memoir and read them for yourself. But, one of the most overlooked is the ability to dress said child in costume...any day of the week. Take a Wednesday. With one $12.99 costume from Target, it is suddenly transformed into "Chicken Day." I had all sorts of excuses for forcing the screaming Spence into the chicken outfit today. It was cold, cold, cold and the costume was warm, warm, warm. We need a few test runs before Halloween. And well, it is fun.

I am one of those people who is always looking for opportunities to coerce friends into dressing up. Add a pair of hoop earrings and some jelly shoes and suddenly you have a total break from reality. You take up a new persona, a new view of the world. And you birth more grins into the world.

But, I am too insecure, too socialized to dress up solo. Insert my partner in crime. Do I dress up with the kiddo? Nope. I let him be my stand in. Yes, I am living vicariously through Spence.

Don't worry. We already started a counseling fund.

7 comments:

mrotzie said...

Costumes are good and Spence looks nice and warm. Overalls, however...

Emily said...

That picture is adorable. Are there other costumes?!?!

Anonymous said...

Malaika's been dressing in her dinosour costume, but only at home...perhaps we'll send her to school with it tomorrow....
xoxo,
AMPC

Kathleen said...

my little brother used to NEVER leave the house unless he had his batman cape, mask, and elbow length rubber gloves ( you know, the ones that possess all of the secret gadgets).
of course, my mom didn't force him to wear the garb...

makes me want to run out and see what costumes are out there for liam. maybe tomorrow...target.

happy bawk-bawking!

Anonymous said...

okay. now post the dragon and harry potter costumes. at least he looks pretty happy in the chicken suit. i think he likes it.

we had such a great time visiting you guys, and we want you to come to reno soon! only, not till we finish the mammoth unpacking (yeah, we packed some mammoths, and now we're unpacking them.)

xoxo,
Susanne

Nicola said...

The pictures are so cute. Spence looks like he's not so sure about it all. I was going to dress Felix up as a bear, but now I'm reconsidering...I love chickens!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.